Sunday, July 12, 2015

goodbye.

I waited these five months to pry my wedding ring from my finger.  I feel naked without it.  Back in January, you told me you wanted a divorce and my gut sank because I knew, that very instant, you meant it.  I knew you had let the rope go on hope.  You were done with us.  And I have fought to let you go in my heart.  I have fought myself endlessly.  Why didn’t I treasure you?  Why didn’t I want the best for you?  The marriage vows have been broken.  We said them to cover our heads, to provide haven, to provide a sense of security.  We said them because we thought our profound love would weather the storm.  What do you do when your love becomes, itself, the storm? 

You sink or swim.  Those were the only two options left for you.  You swam.   

1 comment:

  1. Now it's time for you to swim Rachel. You've tread water long enough. Swim, darling.

    ReplyDelete