Sunday, July 12, 2015

healing.


 My body heaved tonight for you.  I cried as hard for you as I did in the beginning.  “I miss your companionship!  I miss you!”  I said it to the empty house and I said it so my heart would empty itself of any malice I might have.  I imagined you, whole and happy; free, working ‘til dusk because its dividends were energy and peace—your work fulfilled you again, the way it did in Africa.  You were created for that job, like I was created for mine.  “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”  I cried.  “I wish you all the wholeness and happiness I couldn’t give you.”  My counselor always tells me to wish this for you and so I do, I force myself to do this, ever time my mind wanders past health.  I know I do this as much for me, as for you.  I do this to move through these days so they become months.
I know I will never love another woman the way I loved you.  That’s both soul-wretching and soul-enriching.  I know the wind will carry us both when I pass, because you will always be here with me.  You will always be a part of my heart.  

1 comment:

  1. Wholeness and happiness were not yours to give. You gave what you had to offer. That not being enough is beside the point. Turn those phrases of apology upon yourself. Let the arms that long to hold, hold onto you.

    ReplyDelete