Friday, April 28, 2017

my return.

Six weeks ago, I vomited pure alcohol.  I recall thinking, I am literally at war with myself.  My body was trying to, simultaneously, seek peace in a remembered haven of numbness, and, protect itself from the liquid it was drowning itself it.  That was the day the sirens rang out.  I am reverting back to old, self-destructive habits that reek of unhappiness.  This will break me.  The panic and shame were the catalysts that triggered another return to sobriety--that elusive, beautiful world where a lady once told me she "finally saw the glory of flowers and trees and breezes."  At the time, I had internally scoffed.  Not today.  I know the sentiment in my marrow.

You see, the excess began to splash over into every corner of my life.  I woke with bruises on my elbows and my memories.  I spent a paycheck on booze and party favors.  The bartender stopped serving me.  She told me I was a mean drunk; he, that my hands and lower lip wouldn't stop twitching and grinding, respectively.  I barely remember either.  I called in sick (and I knew it wasn't a lie; I've been here before and I know right where this leads).  Most of all, I forgot how the world continues to spin and grow and expand whether I'm present for it or not.  Flowers bloom.  Rain pours.  Lungs burst.  Lactic acid collects.  But then I remembered--that day I purged and purged and purged--this is it.  This is not my practice life.  What am I doing?  What can I do instead?

Surrender the need to always be entertained and buzzed and oblivious.  Wake up, dear Rachel.  Every day is renaissance, not just a weekend.  Sobriety is not absence; sobriety is the presence of potential.  Sobriety is not about alcohol.  Sobriety is understanding and compassionate and holding my no-longer-weary limbs upright.  Sobriety is the previous six weeks, yet--even more glorious--sobriety is the past collective moments I chose a different way.  In every "relapse", I have hope stored up in my bones, hope that I can always start anew again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment